Saturday, December 06, 2003

Compassionate Conservative Parenting

I was reading over Dubya's 2000 acceptance speech at the Repug convention. Of course, there were the lies, falsehoods, distortions, half-truths, etc. I expected and mostly remembered that. But this section caught my eye.

To our daughters, Barbara and Jenna, we love you, we're proud of you, and as you head off to college this fall ... ... Don't stay out too late, and e-mail your old dad once in a while, will you?

And mother, everyone loves you and so do I.


Okay, saying everyone loves Barbara was a lie, too. I can't stand her. But, "Don't stay out too late..."? I know he was busy that summer, but I wonder if this served as his send-off to his daughters? And e-mail only? Can't you afford a weekly phone call? At least nights and weekends on the cell phone?

No comments: