Tuesday, October 28, 2003

Dean expands the party...uh, sorta.

Dean in the debate:

I started out this campaign saying I was from the Democratic wing of the Democratic Party, which Paul Wellstone said. And I didn't meant that I was a big liberal, I was a big conservative, I was a big moderate. What I meant was, just like Paul Wellstone, I say what I think, and I don't care if 70 percent of the people in this country disagree with me, as long as I believe it's the right thing to do.

Got that? The "Democratic Wing" of the party has nothing to do with ideology or belief. It is just a matter of saying what you believe. I guess this means Pat Buchanan can say he's from the Democratic Wing of the Democratic Party, then. And so can Jesse Ventura. And that crazy guy on the street corner you pass by who says whatever foolish idea that comes into his head-- he too, can claim membership under Dean's new logic.

Watch closely from this point forward. Now that he has gotten his legs under him by appealing to the more liberal Dems, Dean will begin his move back to the middle. If he gets the nomination you will hear few references to Wellstone, and more references to "Give 'em Hell, Harry Truman."

No comments: